Thursday, December 30, 2010

Part 1 of Potty Training - Crate Training


OK now down to business, Potty Training your puppy! This will take time and patience so don’t get upset if your new friend does not pick it up in a hurry. It’s a process and your dog needs you to be patient to get through this.

Today the crate training procedure will be discussed. Crate training is used because dogs have a natural instinct to not want to mess in their sleeping area. This will help them learn to hold it until they are let out to do their business. It is very effective and I recommend a crate for all dogs as this crate will be used by the dog as a relaxation place to get away from it all. But you should NEVER use a crate for punishment. Never lock the dog in the crate if they mess on the floor.

Here are a few things to be noted about crates:
*        Helps reduce separation anxiety.
*         Prevents destructive behavior while you are out of the house.
o   Chewing furniture or other things
o   Accidental poisonings 
*         Travel quarters (plane or auto)

Plastic dog carrier

Wire mesh dog crate (recommended)
      

     OK now you need a crate. My recommendation is to go down to a local pet store or national chain store and look for the correct size and type you want. There are two types; fist is the plastic styles with vent lots in it. Second is the wire meshed crate which is the one that I use. The dog should only be locked in the crate while home alone or at night. Other than that it can roam free and it is your responsibility to keep an eye on it.

           It’s important that you only use the crate as a training tool and not misuse it or it could backfire and make training extremely hard.

          More potty training help coming in the nest entry! Remember that you can post a comment and request I help out with something that may be giving you trouble with training your best friend!

Happy New Year!!!!!

15 comments:

  1. Great blog so far... Keep up the good work. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and thank you for your advice. I have a 11 week old puppy that will hold it when she is in her crate but when she is let out I take her outside and she will come right back in and potty on my floor. I could use advice on how to work with her on that and how to get her to stop eating kitty litter thank you for your time.
    Mary Isenhart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for starting this blog. We all need somewhere we can chat and share training ideas. I love dogs too and would rather owners keep their furry family then get rid of pets due to a vice that is easily curable with a little training and understanding of how a dog thinks. Yea Jay!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. S Thank you! I love dogs and I see that most are given up due to training issues that can be avoided! Keep checking back for the next entry about how to start the potty training process!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be great if you went over getting dogs not to jump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for that idea and I will write on that very soon! Breaking a dog from jumping up is not that hard but its more being consistent and getting others that come n contact with the dog to assist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog!!!! I have to agree the crate is a great thing, I found this out the hard way. My newest dog has seperation anxiety...she has ate 2 couches (1 that was brand new) and a chair. Let me tell you the $50 crate is alot cheaper than $1500 in furniture. Would love to hear some input on food agression. I apparently rescued a very troubled dog. I have had her for a year I am not giving up on her, but I could give you topic for the next month LOL. I am hoping that the way my older dog is will wear off on to her soon. Thank you for loving dogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jon actually that's the next post that is coming after the holiday! Its just a matter of rewarding what you want and disciplining what you don't. I will give you ideas that may help you the post will be Monday.

    llafnow337 food aggression is something I have dealt with many times. It is a very time consuming issue, just remember your Alpha leader at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually, I do recommend that dog owners crate a dog after an accident, if only as a safe way to confine the dog out of sight while they clean up. This is usually after the dog has been taken out and given an opportunity to finish the job outside.

    I also recommend that until a dog is housetrained and mannerly in a new home, owners should use a "houseline" or "tether" to ensure that time outside the crate goes well. Whether you choose to tie the dog to you, carry the lead, or let it drag while under supervision, it gives you another way to interrupt unwanted behavior, such housetraining accidents about to happen. Also, it offers a hands-off way to reinforce house rules, such as removing a dog from furniture safely.

    There are other times when crating can be used to keep a dog and family members safe as well. Crating a young pup or a fearful/timid dog, especially when children are around, can provide a dog with a safe place to rest. Letting a dog roam in uncertain situations can be a recipe for disaster. If you can't watch or tether, crate a young, new, or problem dog for safety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to know, as somebody else mentioned, how to get my dog to stop eating kitty litter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Happy New Year! I have a 4 year old papillion- maltese little guy.He has a doggy door open at all times, yet still wets in the house at night. Im thinking he is afraid to go out on his own at night? Any suggestions to change this backward behavior? Thanks
    Teddy's Mamma

    ReplyDelete
  12. HI I was wondering if you could give me some advice on my new puppy. I have a 9 week old min pin That will not potty outside. I take him out and all he wants to do is jump and bark to be picked up. He will pee on a pee pad once in awhile. HE will not poop on it at all. IF you could give me advice it would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a question I have a labordoodle puppy, how do you get them to quit biting. She wants to chew on our hands and bite our pants when walking. Shes a smart puppy and will sit already

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love some info on how to keep your dog from running. We have used the wireless electric fence/collar for a year successfully. now our boy has figured out that it is only a quick shock away to freedom, and it is oh so worth it. we are considering getting another dog for him to play with. we are just hoping that this will keep his interest and not backfire so we have 2 wondering beasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of indoor tethering! I cannot believe I did not think of that..With a house bigger than we are used to and a puppy that is also bigger that we are used to, this will bring our stress level way down!

    ReplyDelete